After a few months working on the project, last week we have activated Riba Roja d’Ebre FTTH headend.
We have deployed FTTH to offer triple play services in a small municipality of Terres de l’Ebre region, Riba Roja d’Ebre. The network offers traditional voice services, video services using RF overlay and high speed data services. We are starting now with 10Mbps symmetric and this will increase once we have the critical mass to upgrade our core network connection. This is a problem now, because the cost of connecting to the network is very high! However, we are closely working with several carrier’s carriers to reduce this cost and be able to offer faster connections.
We are migrating the existing CATV infrastructure, which was just used for video broadcasting. The CATV infrastructure was quite old and the price difference between migrating to DOCSIS 2.x (yes, not to DOCSIS 3.x) and to FTTH was of just of 15%. Obviously, the municipality decided to deploy FTTH to have a future-proof solution.
We have chosen GPON technology as we believe this was the one that offered the best trade-off between performance, price, footprint and power efficiency.
The consortium that has developed the project has been formed by four companies:
- Servitet has installed the passive infrastructure and will be in charge of the maintenance of the network.
- Alpha Enginyeria has designed the network and has supervised the deployment.
- TFO has supplied the active and passive equipment. Active equipment is from Enablence and BKTel.
- apfutura has integrated all the services and launched the system into operation.
We are very proud of the job done and hope this will be just the first of many. As traditional operators are not investing in high-speed infrastructures, others have to do it!
Riba Roja d’Ebre is a municipality in Terres de l’Ebre region with a population of 1.348 inhabitants (2009). In Riba Roja d’Ebre there is an important hydroelectric power station and there is no relevant industry, expect the power generation plant. With this project, the municipality expects to attract new industries and businesses and offer new services to Riba Roja inhabitants.
- Alpha Enginyeria http://www.alphaenginyeria.com
- apfutura http://www.apfutura.net
- BKTel: http://www.bktel.com
- Enablence http://www.enablence.com
- Riba Roja d’Ebre http://www.riba-roja.altanet.org/
- TFO http://www.tfosolutions.com
- Servitet http://www.servitet.com